Monday, July 30, 2012

Two Must Have Books

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into PrintOn Writing


As some of you know, I am trying something different by taking the self-publishing route.  The hardest part about this process so far is the editing.  Yep, when you self-publish, you are on your own.  Sure, you definitely are going to want to send your manuscript through a few beta-readers.  But you still need a good editor.  Those are hard to find in the self-publishing world sometimes.  I recently read a wonderful book by an indie that had many spelling and grammatical errors. I emailed this author, whose response was surprising to me.  This author actually had the book edited by someone and was disappointed in what I had found. 

I think that not all editors are created equal.  To me, if I can educate myself, I would like to be the best editor that I can be.  I have found the advice in the two books shown above to be the best.  I really have enjoyed the insight that I have gained from these two references.  So, if you want to have a good editor, be one.  If you want to be a good editor, read these books.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King

On Writing by Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment